COMPLEX HISTORIC RENOVATION OF A FORMER PRISON
Wolverine Building Group renovated the Jackson State Prison originally built in 1839. The renovation was made possible with the help of MSHDA, HUD, and a Cool City Grant.
The site includes several historic prison buildings, a 25-foot-high turreted stone wall around the perimeter of the property and a vacant industrial complex to the south. Three of the historic prison buildings were renovated to create 62 one to two-bedroom loft apartments. Mixed within the residential units are workspaces for the resident artists, including a two-story industrial art production space, specialized studio facilities including a ceramics/ sculpture studio, and rehearsal space to be shared by resident artists, artisans, and designers.
This project received the Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation & a Building Award from the Michigan Historic Preservation Network.